I love living in California where just about everyone has fruit trees growing in their backyards. If you know enough people you can easily have everything on hand to throw together an awesome fruit salad! This week my friend Kara was kind enough to share some of their peaches with me. Aren’t they just beautiful?!
If only computers came with a scratch and sniff button so you could smell how fragrant they are. I ate a few right there on the spot and the rest I used to make this fantastic salad. I just love the combination of peaches and cherries plus the added crunch and flavor of toasted almonds. This is a summer salad at it’s finest! Enjoy and thanks again Kara!
For the salad:
- 2-3 cups kale, finely shredded, stem removed
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small ripe peach, diced (feel free to leave the peel on if desired)
- 5-6 sweet red cherries, pitted and sliced in half
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
For the dressing:
- 1 small ripe peach, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp agar agar powder (optional, makes for a thicker dressing)
- In a small sauté pan add the almonds and heat on medium high. Stir occassionally for about 5 minutes or until the almonds are nicely browned.
- While the almonds are toasting add all the ingredients for the dressing to a blender and process until smooth.
- Add the kale, green onion, mushrooms and peach to a bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle the toasted almonds on top and enjoy!
Makes 1 serving.
Nutritional info based on salad plus 4 tbsp dressing.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 258.5, Cal. from Fat: 48, Total Fat: 4g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 47.5g, Fiber: 5.5g, Sugars: 25g, Protein: 8g, Sodium: 60mg, Chol: 0mg