SooFoo – such a fun name isn’t it? I wish I could take credit for such a creative title but SooFoo is actually a new product that just hit the shelves of my local health food store and it sounded so interesting that I just had to give it a try. SooFoo, along with being fun to say, is actually a mix of super healthy organic grains and is pretty delicious all by itself. SooFoo is a mix of barley, black beluga lentils, brown lentils, buckwheat, green lentils, long grain brown rice, steel cut oats, rye berries and Yera Cora rojo wheat berries. To get acquainted with this neat product I decided to make a simple salad. I loved the texture that all the different grains brought to this dish. You can easily substitute with any of your favorite veggies and if you can’t find SooFoo on the shelves of your local grocery store then simply use your favorite grain instead. I’ve already been playing around with different SooFoo recipes so enjoy this one for now and keep your eyes peeled for even more creative ways to get your SooFoo on!
- 3 cups cooked SooFoo
- 1/2 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup quartered cucumber
- heaping 1/2 cup grated or julienned carrot
- 1/4 cup finely diced tomato
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced kale (chiffonade style)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/8 cup finely diced fresh parsley
- 1/8 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium tamari or soy sauce (gluten free if needed)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp basil
- sea salt to taste
- In a small bowl mix together the last 8 ingredients. Stir well and set the dressing aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a large bowl and pour the dressing over top. Mix well.
- Serve immediately or let chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Makes 6-8 servings.
This salad is great for leftovers. It can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.