The farmer’s market is in full swing with many wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables to choose from. I know here in California we sometimes have produce available earlier in the year so this salad uses ingredients that you can usually find at any time around the country if the farmer’s market in your area hasn’t started yet.
Nutty tasting millet is combined with sun ripened tomatoes, cool cucumbers, crunchy carrots and creamy avocado, then topped with an awesome dressing that is sizzling with summer flavor.
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered (about 2 cups)
- 2-3 small cucumbers, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 carrot diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
For the Dressing:
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tbsp soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or gluten free coconut aminos or gluten free tamari
- 1 tsp honey or coconut nectar
- 1 tsp or more to taste Arizona Pepper’s Organic Harvest Chipotle Habanero Pepper Sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- salt to taste
- Stir the millet and oil together in a skillet over medium high heat. Toast, stirring often until lightly browned.
- While the millet is toasting bring the water to boil in a sauce pan. Add the toasted millet, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Stir well, set aside and let cool.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Once the millet has cooled stir well to break apart any lumps. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, avocado, parsley and cilantro. Stir in the dressing and serve at room temperature.
Approximately 6 servings.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. I like to keep the millet separate from the other ingredients and blend just before serving if I don’t plan on the salad being consumed right away.