For me a cookout or potluck wouldn’t be complete without homemade baked beans. I love them! I also love bold spicy flavors like jerk seasoning. Put the two together and what do you get? Baked beans so flavorful they’ll make your tastebuds explode like 4th of July fireworks.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar (not distilled vinegar) or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut crystals
- 2 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter
- hot sauce to taste – I use 1 tbsp Arizona Pepper’s Organic Harvest Foods Chipotle Habanero Pepper Sauce
- 3-4 cups cooked pinto beans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven proof dutch oven heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions, ginger, garlic and salt. Sauté until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add the remaining ingredients. Cook about 10 minutes until the sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Add the beans and stir to combine. Place in the oven and bake 45 minutes or longer if you prefer a less saucy consistency.
- Serve with your favorite burger, tortilla chips or your favorite grain.
Makes approximately 6 servings.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. This recipe can also be made in a slow cooker. Follow steps 1-3 and then combine with the beans in the bowl of a slow cooker and cook according to the manufactures instructions.