I love miso, I love cabbage and I love pan fried tempeh. Why have I never thought to put them together before?! For this recipe I used my favorite three grain tempeh which, when pan fried, smells and tastes quite similar to bacon. I love the flavor the tempeh brings to this salad and the creamy miso dressing is good enough to drink! This salad makes for a complete meal so enjoy it for lunch or dinner.
- 2 tbsp chickpea miso (or any variety of miso will do)
- 1/2 tsp ground yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 medium size savoy cabbage, chopped
- 8 ounce package three grain tempeh (you can use another variety of tempeh but it will slightly change the flavor of the salad)
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- heaping 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 1-2 tbsp neutral cooking oil
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Set the dressing aside.
- Use a hand chopper or a sharp knife to finely chop the tempeh – you want a very fine chop.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is heated add the tempeh and stirring often, sauté the tempeh until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a large bowl toss together the cabbage, onion, chives and pan fried tempeh.
- Add the dressing and toss once more to evenly coat. Serve immediately.
Serves 3-4 as a main dish or 6-8 as a side dish.
This salad is best when eaten right away. If you plan to have leftovers it’s best to keep the components separate until ready to serve. The veggies, tempeh and dressing should all be stored separately.