I rarely get cravings for sweets. Mostly it’s weird things like Caesar salads, potstickers or onions rings. But the other day I happened to drive by The Cheesecake Factory and I was reminded of their cheesecakes which I used to love. I really wanted something creamy and delicious and there is nothing better than a chocolate peanut butter combo. I played around with this recipe until I got it just perfect – a crumbly cookie crust, a smooth and creamy peanut butter mousse filling and a delicious chocolate topping. There is a reason why I made these in single serving jars – you’d have a hard time not eating the whole dang pie! Luckily, these cute little mason jars hold a perfect serving of deliciousness. Enjoy!
For the crust:
- 3/4 cup finely ground chocolate graham crackers (you can substitute with any of your favorite graham crackers or shortbread type cookies, for those on a gluten free diet make sure to use a gluten free cookie)
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the pie filling:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp coconut nectar
- a pinch or two of sea salt
For the chocolate topping:
- 1/3 cup of your favorite chocolate chips, melted
1. Place all the ingredients for the crust in a food processor and pulse until you have a sand like consistency. Evenly distribute the crust mixture into 6 half pint mason/canning jars.
2. Press the crust down with your finger or the back of a spoon until you have an even single layer.
3. Wipe your food processor clean and add the ingredients for the filling. Process until you have smooth consistency (stop once or twice and scrape down the sides of the processor as needed).
4. Add a layer of filling to each of the mason jars. Use a spoon to smooth out the top.
5.Add a teaspoon or so of melted chocolate on top and use a spoon (or your finger) to evenly distribute in a thin layer.
6. Place the jars in the fridge for about 15 minutes or until the chocolate tops have hardened.
7. Serve straight from the fridge or let sit for about 5 minutes at room temperature.
Makes 6 single servings.
Store any leftovers by placing the lid on each jar and storing in the fridge for up to 5 days.