That’s not a very catchy name for a recipe, is it? But, that’s what it is. A simple dish made up of sweet potato, kale and bulgar without a lot of fuss but oh so good in it’s simplicity.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp neutral flavor oil
- 1/2 cup bulgar
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- Toasted almonds, chopped (optional)
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium high heat and add the sweet potatoes and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes or until the potatoes have browned a little.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the lemon juice. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook until the bulgar and potatoes are tender and the kale is wilted, approximately 10 minutes. Add more water as needed if the pan gets too dry.
- When done squeeze the lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with the almonds (if using).
Makes approximately 4 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 222, Cal. from Fat: 34, Total Fat: 4g, Sat. Fat: .5g, Carbs: 42g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 13g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 276mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.