This is without a doubt the best soup I’ve ever had and I’ve had a lot of soup in my lifetime. I’m in love with the creamy smooth texture, the simple yet comforting flavor and the garnishes – yummy! I love that each person can make this soup be whatever they want. I love it topped with roasted fingerling potatoes, a sprinkle of Daiya cheese and dash of chives. My husband loaded his soup with Italian Sausages, caramelized onions and sautéed mushrooms. No matter how you serve it up it’s bound to be delicious! This soup is also oil free for those that follow a low or no oil diet. Almonds take the place of the oil without sacrificing the richness that oil normally brings plus they create an amazing creaminess. Spring might be right around the corner but there is still plenty of time to enjoy this amazing dish!
For the soup:
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- heaping 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Organic Whipped Buttery Spread (optional)
For the optional toppings and garnish:
- Daiya Cheddar Cheese
- finely chopped chives or parsley
- fingerling potatoes, diced and roasted
- caramelized onions
- sautéed mushrooms
- diced tomatoes
- sautéed or roasted broccoli
- chopped Italian Sausages
- Place your peeled potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the water and potatoes from the pot and set the potatoes aside.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the vegetable broth. Heat on medium high heat. Add in the almonds and let them soften in the broth for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat if needed to keep the broth from boiling.
- Add the potatoes, nutritional yeast, salt and Earth Balance (if using). Stir well and remove from heat.
- Using a handheld blender (you can also transfer the ingredients to a high powered blender) process until you have a thick and creamy consistency. Reheat if necessary before serving.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and load with any of the optional garnishes and toppings that you’d like. Enjoy!
Makes 6-8 servings.
This soup makes for excellent leftovers. It’s best when storing the leftovers to keep the soup and the garnishes/toppings separate. The soup will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge.