There are so many things about fall that I love and one thing is the new crop of fresh apples. This time of year there are so many tasty and delicious varieties of apples. Each week when I go to the market there is always a fun new variety to try so I never get bored. I love this seasonal dish that Chef Matthew Purnell from Living On the Veg put together for you. It’s clean and crisp and so full of flavor. Give it a try with your favorite apples today!
This simple and seasonally fantastic recipe shines in fall because of the quality of apples that are available at this time. Paired with some bold and earthy flavors this dish is great as a quick snack or as an addition to any wrap or salad.
~Chef Matthew Purnell, Living On The Veg
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped medjool dates
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups diced apples of your choice
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- Place the first 8 ingredients in a high speed blender and process until smooth. Set the dressing aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the remaining ingredients. Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Makes approximately 3 1/2 cups.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.