This recipe is a ‘sweet’ little dish to have in your recipe box especially during the holidays. It’s simple to make and a little different from the usual potatoes you find on the holiday table.
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced *see notes
- 2-3 apples, peeled, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1 tbsp maple sugar or syrup
- 1 tbsp neutral flavor oil plus a little to grease the baking dish
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans or hazelnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch pie pan or an 8×8 or similar size shallow baking dish with a little of the oil.
- In a small bowl mix together the orange juice, maple sugar, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Set aside.
Layer half the sweet potatoes in the baking dish and then top with a layer of half the apples.
- Layer the prepared baking dish with half the potatoes, lightly overlapping the edges. Layer half the apple slices over the potatoes.
- Spoon half of the juice mixture evenly over the apples.
- Layer on the other half of the potatoes and then the apples.
- Spoon the remaining juice mixture over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
Makes approximately 6 servings.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
*Try to find long thin sweet potatoes. If you can’t then cut the potato in half before thinly slicing to make layering easier.