Memorial Day weekend is just around the corner and that means the official start of summer. Grilling, picnics, reunions and festivals will fill the days ahead and so will all the delicious foods that are found there. Burgers, potato salad, baked beans, corn and sweet juicy watermelon are some of my favorite summertime foods but it’s always good to add a little change to the menu. Baked BBQ Lentils make a fun switch up to the usual baked beans. You can make them the classic way or dress them up with some colorful additions like red peppers and corn. Whichever way you go they will be delicious.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (optional)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) no salt crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp no salt tomato paste
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup raw coconut crystals
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups french green lentils
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven proof dutch oven heat the oil over medium high heat. Place the the onions and garlic ( and red pepper and corn if using) in the pan and sauté 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the lentils. Stir well.
- Add the lentils, stir and cover.
- Place in the oven and bake 2 hours. Uncover and stir. This is usually enough baking time but test the lentils to see if they have reached the desired doneness. If too firm, cover again and bake an additional 30 minutes. Add additional broth if needed before placing back in the oven.
Makes about 8 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 269, Cal. from Fat: 20, Total Fat: 2g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 46g, Fiber: 16g, Sugars: 15g, Protein: 13g, Sodium: 307mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftover in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
BBQ lentils make great leftovers. You can eat them on toasted burger buns, add rice and eat in a whole grain tortilla, or add to a green salad.