My husband loves apple pie but I don’t love spending all that time in the kitchen that it takes to make an apple pie. My compromise – Apple Pie Truffles. Each bite is like a little bite of apple pie heaven yet they are so easy and quick to make. These sweet treats are great for get togethers or potlucks so make a batch and let your friends and family taste the healthy eating difference!
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted
- heaping 1/2 cup dried apple rings, unsweetened & unsulfured (I used Made In Nature Brand Dried Apples)
- 1/3 cup raw pecan or walnut pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp So Easy Applesauce
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- a dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raw pecans or walnuts (optional topping)
1. Place the dates and dried apples into the bowl of a food processor or blender (you’ll need to have a powerful blender to be able to properly mix the dates and apples together) and process until they form a thick paste.
Place dates and apples in food processor and process until a thick paste forms
2. Place 1/3 cup pecan pieces into the food processor along with the dried fruit paste and process until mixed. The nuts will break up the thick fruit paste and you’ll end up with a more fine grained mixture.
Add in the pecans and process until a grainy mixture forms
3. Add in the applesauce, cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg to the mixture and process until throughly mixed.
Form the mixture into 12-14 1 inch truffles
4. Form the mixture into 12-14 small balls (about 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick) by rolling them between the palms of your hands.
Roll each truffle in the finely chopped pecans
5. Roll each ball around in the finely chopped pecans until fully coated (optional topping).
6. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Makes 12-14 truffles.
Serving size 2 truffles.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 63.5, Cal. from Fat: 24.5, Total Fat: 3g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 10g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugars: 8.5g, Protein: .5g, Sodium: 0mg, Chol: 0mg
Any leftover truffles should be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week.