Remember the infamous broccoli and rice casserole made with instant rice, cream of mushroom soup and Cheese Whiz? I’m ashamed to say I do and that I even made it many, many years ago. What a terrible way to mess up a good healthy vegetable like broccoli! I was thinking about this casserole the other day and decided to get creative and make my own broccoli and rice casserole, Naked Kitchen style. Now this is one healthy recipe with nothing to be ashamed of.
- 1/2 head cauliflower or 1 cup cauliflower rice (see notes for instructions)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup pasta or marinara sauce of your choice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Cashew Parmesan Cheese or Homemade Bread Crumbs
- Place the cauliflower rice into a large dry non-stick skillet (no water and no oil). Over medium heat cook the cauliflower stirring often, about 5-7 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender but not browned.
- Remove the cauliflower to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet with a damp paper towel and then return it to the heat. Add the olive oil, onion and 1/2 tsp salt and sauté until the onion is tender about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the broccoli and remaining 1/2 tsp salt and saute until the broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Spoon the cauliflower rice back into the skillet with the broccoli and stir.
- Add the pasta sauce and parsley in with the vegetables and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce is heated through.
- Serve topped with Cashew Parmesan Cheese or Homemade Bread Crumbs.
Makes 4 servings
Nutritional information will vary depending on the pasta sauce used.
To make cauliflower rice place raw florets into a food processor and process until the cauliflower resembles rice.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.