I don’t know why I never thought of making Chocolate Graham Crackers before, but now that I have I’m sure glad I did. Besides just being good to eat there are so many delectable possibilities I don’t know where to start. Wait, yes I do! Ice Cream Sandwiches.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus a little to work into your dough when rolling out
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw coconut crystals
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix the coconut oil into the flour mixture either with your hands or a fork until completely incorporated. You should end up with a mixture the consistency of sand.
- In a small bowl mix the coconut crystals, molasses, vanilla and milk.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture and mix until combined. The dough should be moist and crumbly but hold together when formed into a ball.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper (approx. 18″ long) on a flat work surface. Roll out the dough onto the parchment paper into a 10″ x 16-18″ rectangle or to about 1/8″ thickness. Use cocoa powder to keep your rolling pin from sticking to the dough.
- Score the dough into rectangles approximately 2″ x 3″. You should be able to get about 24 or so crackers. You can cut away the rough edges if you wish but it isn’t necessary.
- Gently pierce each cracker with a fork in 2 rows on each cracker about 2-3 times. You don’t need to go all the way through the cracker.
- Carefully transfer the parchment with the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Bake 14-16 minutes. The crackers will still be a little soft and will crisp as they cool.
- Once cooled break apart at the scored lines.
Makes approximately 24 crackers.
Serving size 2 crackers
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 152, Cal. from Fat: 71, Total Fat: 7.5g, Sat. Fat: 6.5g, Carbs: g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 3g, Sodium: 136mg, Chol: 0mg
You can also cut the dough into shapes using a cookie cutter and then transfer to the baking sheet and bake as directed. For a crisper cracker place individual crackers directly onto a wire cooling rack, place the rack on the baking sheet and bake as directed.
Store leftovers in a sealed container or zip bag for up to 4-5 days or freeze up to 6 months.