This past week we’ve been hit with some rainy weather and it always puts me in the mood for a nice warm breakfast. My kids love banana bread so I played around with my standard recipe and created this delicious cinnamon vanilla infused bread. It’s perfect for those rainy or snowy winter mornings.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup neutral oil (safflower, canola, etc)
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup raw coconut crystals
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean powder (you can sub with 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract or the seeds of 1 vanilla bean)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- pinch or two sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together the ground flax seed and water and let sit for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Place the flour, coconut crystals, vanilla powder (if using vanilla extract skip for now and add to the wet ingredients), cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the oil and almond butter to a small bowl and mix well. Stir in the mashed bananas, milk and soaked flax seeds.
- Empty the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Place the mixture into a greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- The bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Makes 1 loaf (1.5 quart dish size) or 8 slices.
Leftover banana bread can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave if desired.