I make Homemade Almond Milk at least a couple of times a week. I love the smooth richness of the milk and knowing that there are only 2 ingredients involved, almonds and water. Making homemade milk leaves me with a lot of ground almond meal left over. While I usually toast it in the oven and store it in zip lock bags for later use, lately I’ve been using the almond meal raw in several different ways. The first use is for Frugal Almond Meal Cookies and later this week I’ll have another recipe using almond meal. These cookies are reminiscent of Pecan Sandies but I’ve also included an option to make them into a chocolate almond cookie because what’s better than chocolate and almonds? It’s a win/win/win as far as I’m concerned. I get to use up the almond meal and I get 2 different and delicious cookies.
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups raw almond meal left over from making Homemade Almond Milk (If you don’t have almond meal you can soak 1 1/4 cups almonds in water overnight, drain the water and then grind the almonds in a food processor. See notes.)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (use honey for chocolate cookies)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (for chocolate cookies only)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the ground flax seed with the water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the almond meal, whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the remaining ingredients including the flax seed mixture to the bowl and stir until completely combined.
- Roll approximately 2 tbsp each of the dough into a balls and place on the baking sheets. Press down gently to flatten slightly.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on cooling racks. Cool and enjoy!
Makes approximately 36 cookies.
Serving size 1 cookie.
Nutritional information not available. We don’t have accurate nutritional info for the leftover almond meal to be able to calculate the nutritional facts correctly.
Store cookies in an airtight container for 4-5 days or freeze in ziplock bags for longer storage.
Raw almond meal will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.