The smell of baking bread is almost hypnotic, don’t you think? I smell fresh bread baking and I feel like one of those cartoon characters with my nose in the air following the white swirling scent oblivious to traffic, construction hazards, rivers, etc. Just get me to that yeasty goodness. I wonder why Glade doesn’t make an air freshener scent called “Fresh Baked Bread”? I would totally buy it.
Not only do these mini buns smell fantastic while baking but they taste even better. The garlic and oregano lightly season the buns and then the sun dried tomato and olives take them to another level. Big taste in a small package.
- 4 cups white (hard) whole wheat flour (white whole wheat flour is not the same as white flour)
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant yeast (if using another yeast proof it first according to the package directions)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/3 cups very warm water
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus a little to grease the pan(s)
- 3 ounces sun dried tomatoes, soaked in hot water and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- In a bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl measure the flour. Add the yeast, salt, garlic and oregano. Mix well.
- Add the water and oil. Stir until all the water is mixed in. The mixture might appear dry but once the dough is kneaded it will come together and become soft and pliable.
- Knead with a dough hook on speed 2 (Kitchenaid) for 8-10 minutes or until the dough has become soft and elastic or knead by hand.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Add in the tomatoes and olives by folding the dough over them and kneading them in.
- Light spray a mini muffin tin with oil. Break apart pieces of the dough about the size of a golf ball, roll into a ball and place in the muffin tin. Cover and let rise at least an hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake 15-18 minutes until the tops are just starting to brown.
Makes approximately 30 buns.
Serving size 2 buns.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 149, Cal. from Fat: 35, Total Fat: 4g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 22g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 266mg, Chol: 0mg
Once cooled store the buns in an airtight plastic bag or container in a cool place for up to 3 days.