The next time you score fresh corn on the cob at a great price get some extra and make this bright and flavorful salad. Grilled corn is the heart of this salad but it doesn’t stop there. The tangy basil dressing is the perfect contrast to the sweetness of the corn and tomatoes. This salad is really simple to make and is a great side to almost any entree.
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn, husked and grilled until slightly blackened and cut off the cob *see notes*
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced green and white parts
- fresh basil, about 12 leaves
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp soy milk or other milk of your choice
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper or to taste
- Place the corn, tomato, and onion in a bowl.
- In a blender or food processor (I like using a magic bullet for this since it’s such a small amount) process the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Pour over the vegetables and stir until combined. Serve at room temperature or chill before serving if preferred.
Makes about 3 cups.
Serving size 1/2 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 210, Cal. from Fat: 132, Total Fat: 15g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 19g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 4g, Sodium: 172mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
*To grill corn heat a charcoal or gas grill to high. You can lightly brush the corn with oil if desired but it’s not necessary. Place the corn on the hot grill and roast until slightly blackened, turn until all sides are roasted. If you don’t have an outdoor grill you can grill the corn on a grill pan over the stove as well.