Summer is right around the corner and that means picnics, ball games, road trips and more. What do you do when you get hungry? Restaurants that feature whole, healthy, plant based ingredients are few and far between. Peanut butter and jelly is ok for the kids but what about you? I love this pate’ for it’s rich, delicious grown up taste. Spread on your favorite bread with the toppings of your choice and you have the ideal sandwich to pack up and take with you wherever you are headed.
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 1/2 cup shelled raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil or other neutral flavor oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow or sweet onion
- 1/2 cup diced red, orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced white button or cremini mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce (use gluten free if needed)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 4-6 tbsp water
- In a dry skillet over medium high heat toast the almonds approximately 5 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant, stirring often. Remove to the bowl of a food processor and set aside.
- Add the pumpkin seeds to the skillet and toast 3-4 minutes, stirring often until lightly browned. Transfer to the food processor with the almonds. Process 2-3 minutes until finely ground.
- Heat the skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. Add the onion, peppers, mushroom and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes or so until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the vegetables to the food processor along with the tamari, lemon juice, parsley, red pepper flakes and 4 tbsp of the water. Process until smooth. Add the remaining water if needed for a smoother texture.
- Chill before serving. Spread on your favorite bread with a slice of tomato and lettuce, scoop out the insides of roma tomatoes and fill with the pate’, spread onto celery sticks or wrap in lettuce leaves.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Toasted Almond and Pumpkin Seed Pate’