This time of year is so plentiful with citrus fruit that I try to think of different ways to use it other than just peel and eat. Not that there is anything wrong with that especially with a couple of my favorite citrus fruits, Gold Nugget mandarin oranges and Minneola tangerines. I use Minneola’s in this recipe because of their juiciness. The hearty grains of wheatberry and wild rice paired with the sweet juiciness of the tangerines are a perfect combination.
- 1 cup wheatberry, cooked
- 1/2 cup wild rice, cooked
- 3 Minneola tangerines, 2 for juice (about 1/2 cup) and 1 peeled and cut into bite size pieces reserving a couple of uncut segments for a garnish if you wish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp stone ground mustard
- 1 tbsp raw honey or coconut nectar
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans (or walnuts)
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach
1. Cook wheatberry and wild rice per cooking instructions on the packages. Wheatberries are usually soaked overnight before cooking so plan ahead. After cooking let cool.
2. Juice 2 of the tangerines into a small bowl then mix in the olive oil, honey, mustard, thyme, parsley cardamom, salt and pepper.
3. Place the pecans in a dry skillet and heat on medium heat, stirring often, about 3 minutes or until you start to smell their nutty aroma. Coarsley chop the nuts.
4. Mix the wheatberries and rice in a large bowl. Add the chopped onion, tangerines and pecans.
5. Pour in the juice mixture and stir to combine.
6. Serve over baby spinach and garnish with the reserved tangerine segments.
Makes 4 servings as a side dish or 2 as a lunch or dinner meal.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 329.5, Cal. from Fat: 106, Total Fat: 12.5g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 51g, Fiber: 8.5g, Sugars: 11g, Protein: 8g, Sodium: .5mg, Chol: 0mg
This salad is best if let to sit about an hour in the refrigerator after mixing in the dressing. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.