One of my favorite booths at the farmers market is the one where they make fresh crepes right in front of you while you wait. Then you can pick from a large variety of items to fill your crepe from fresh fruit, cheese, seafood, etc. Wrap it up and tuck in. Oh man that’s good. This past weekend I walked past the crepe booth and knew I had to go home and make my own gluten free crepe filled fresh veggies and an awesome sauce. Another favorite thing of mine is finger food. Combine the two and you get mini stuffed crepes. Hooray! Ok now, pinkies out. Pick up that tasty little morsel. Pop it in you mouth…..mmmmmmm. Need I say more? Go get cooking!
For the crepes:
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk or other milk of choice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp minced chives
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp neutral flavor oil
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or gf tamari
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp neutral flavor oil
- 6-8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup cooked black beans
- In a small bowl whisk together the crepe ingredients. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Place the oil on the skillet and roll the pan around to evenly distribute the oil.
- Drop 4 spoonfuls (about 1 to 1/2 tbsp each) of batter evenly spaced onto the skillet and roll the skillet around to spread the batter as thin as possible. Cook about 30 seconds and then flip over and cook another 20-30 seconds. Remove to a covered container to keep warm and repeat with the remaining batter stirring well between batches. There’s no need to add additional oil to the pan for the remaining crepes. You can also make 4 full sized crepes using a 10 inch non-stick skillet and about 1/3 cup batter each.
- In a small bowl whisk together the tahini, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and garlic. Set aside.
- In the same skillet the crepes were made add 1 tbsp oil and heat to medium high. Add the mushrooms and carrots. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their juices and are tender. Add the green onion and spinach. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the spinach has wilted. Add the sauce and stir to coat.
- Spoon 1-2 tbsp of the filling into each mini crepe and serve.
Approximately 18 mini crepes or 4 regular size crepes.
The crepes can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time, cooled and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Place on a dry non-stick skillet until warmed or reheat in the microwave for a few seconds.