A while ago we polled our readers on Facebook to see what direction they would like us to go in the new year. More vegan recipes, vegetarian, low oil? We asked and you overwhelming answered with more vegetarian recipes. During the last few months of my pregnancy I started craving eggs. I’ve always believed in listening to your body so I gradually started incorporating organic, pasture raised eggs back into my diet. I usually have an egg or two every few weeks and this 7 layer salad is one of my favorite ways to enjoy them. Truth be told it’s the dressing that totally makes this salad. Years and years ago I used to love Kraft’s Creamy Poppyseed Dressing but if you take a look at the stuff that they call ingredients you won’t see anything you’d want to put in your body. I decided to recreate the dressing myself and I love the results! My husband and I have been on a binge with this dressing. We’ve used it as a standard mayo replacement on sandwiches, we’ve dipped bread into it and I’ve even used it as a pizza sauce! While I love a good 7 layer salad don’t stop here with this amazing dressing. Also, feel free to mix and match your favorite veggies in this salad. I know traditional 7 layer salads usually include tomato but I’m not a fan of them in my salads so I left them out in this recipe.
- 3 cups chopped or shredded romanin lettuce
- 1 bunch radish, stems removed and thinly sliced and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced onions, yellow, red or even green
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 5-6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced *omit for a vegan version
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese *use Diaya cheese for a vegan version
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup mayo or sour cream *use a vegan variety for a vegan option
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar
- heaping tbsp dehydrated chopped onion
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a large bowl layer the first 6 ingredients in order.
- In a smaller blender add the mayo (or sour cream), vinegar, canola oil, coconut nectar, dehydrated onions, poppyseeds and salt. Blend until well mixed.
- Drizzle the dressing evenly over the top of the salad (you may not need all of it). Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and top with the toasted almonds.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Makes 5-6 servings.
Leftover dressing will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Salad should be eaten right away after preparing.