Couscous. Not only is it fun to say but I absolutely love the flavor and texture of this tiny little pasta. Couscous is amazingly light and fluffy and this salad is just that. It’s got a simple and refreshing dressing and the bits of sun dried tomato and lightly sautéed asparagus make this the perfect spring or summer salad. You can serve this dish cold so it’s perfect for a potluck or get together. Enjoy!
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 1/2 inch diagonal pieces
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 4 – 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp oil (if using sun dried tomatoes in oil use the reserved oil from the jar, if not Garlic Gold Oil or regular extra virgin oil will work)
- In a medium pot bring the water to a boil. Add in the salt and couscous, stir, cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a medium sauté pan on medium high heat. Add the asparagus and cook for 5 – 7 minutes or until the asparagus is bright green and tender. Add in the remaining ingredients, stir and cook for 1 minute more.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and add in the asparagus mixture. Stir well and serve warm or chill in the fridge and serve cold.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 219, Cal. from Fat: 85.5, Total Fat: 10g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 27.5g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 5.5g, Protein: 6.5g, Sodium: 172.5mg, Chol: 0mg
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.