The first time I tried tamari roasted almonds I was hooked. What a simple but wonderful flavor combination. What I don’t like is the price for this tasty treat. Why pay for someone else to put 2 simple ingredients together when you can do it for yourself at a much lower cost? If you like tamari roasted almonds too then roast some up yourself and save some money in the process.
- 3 cups raw almonds
- 1/3 cup low sodium tamari (if you follow a gluten free diet be sure to use a gluten free sauce)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Spread the raw almonds in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake approximately 10 minutes stirring occasionally or until you smell a nice nutty aroma but not browning the nuts.
- Remove to a heat proof bowl and pour the tamari over the nuts. Stir to coat.
- Let sit 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the nuts back to the baking sheet with a slotted spoon. Spread in an even layer.
- Place the baking sheet back in the oven and bake, stirring occasionally for 15-18 minutes or until dry and nicely browned.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Makes 3 cups.
Serving size 1 ounce or about 1/4 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 142, Cal. from Fat: 98, Total Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 1g, Carbs: 6g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 1g, Protein: 6g, Sodium: 234mg, Chol: 0mg
Oven temperatures vary so please watch carefully so that you don’t burn the almonds.
Store nuts in an airtight container for up to a month or store in the refrigerator for up to a year.