While at the market a couple of weeks ago Sarah picked up a box of raw crackers made with various seeds and spices. She tried them and didn’t care for them so she gave them to me to try. I loved them. The ingredients were pretty basic so I figured it should be easy enough to make something similar myself. Being the cheese lover that I am I had to include some cheese. I used parmesan because well…have you ever had parmesan crisps? Enough said! The crackers turned out light and crispy. Cheese and crackers all in one little square. Yum!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw flax seed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 – 1 tsp coarse sea salt (to taste)
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a food processor or coffee grinder grind the sunflower and flax seeds until coarsely ground.
3. In a large bowl combine the almond flour, ground seeds, parmesan cheese and spices.
4. Add water to the mixture a little at a time until it sticks together to form a ball. You may not need all the water to get the right consistancy.
Roll out on parchment paper
5. Turn the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper, cover with another piece of parchment and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick.
6. Remove the top layer of parchment and place the bottom parchment paper with the dough onto a baking sheet.
7.Sprinkle with sea salt.
8. Bake 30 minutes or so until browned around the edges.
9. Immediately after removing from the oven cut the crackers into 2 x 2 inch squares. I found a pizza cutter works really well.
Makes approximately 24 crackers.
Serving size 4 crackers
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 344, Cal. from Fat: 236, Total Fat: 27g, Sat. Fat: 6g, Carbs: 10.5g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 1.5g, Protein: 18g, Sodium: 540mg, Chol: 22mg
Crackers can be store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.