This dessert is on my top 10 list for a number of reasons. It’s easy to prepare, it’s fresh and light tasting and the filling ingredients can be changed to whatever is in season. A couple of my favorite combinations besides this kiwi and blackberry combo are peach and blueberry or rhubarb and strawberry. This tart would be a great addition to an Easter brunch or just anytime you want an easy and tasty dessert.
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup raw walnuts, finely ground
- 1 cup raw coconut crystals plus 2 tbsp, divided
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 2/3 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 8-10 kiwi’s, peeled and diced
- 1 cup blackberries (or blueberries)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the ground flax seed with the water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine the flour, walnuts, 1 cup of the coconut crystals, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in a large bowl.
- Add the Earth Balance and the flax seed mixture and mix with a fork or pastry cutter or even your hands until crumbly.
- Press half of the mixture into a 10 inch tart pan or if you don’t have a tart pan you could use an 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Gently combine the kiwi, blackberries and remaining coconut sugar and pour them into the baking dish.
- Spoon the remaining crumble mixture over the top of the fruit.
- Bake 40 minutes or until the fruit is tender and the crumble topping is browned. Let sit for 10 minutes or so before removing from the tart pan or cutting.
Makes one 10 inch tart.
Serving size 1/10.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 346, Cal. from Fat: 152, Total Fat: 17g, Sat. Fat: 3g, Carbs: 45g, Fiber: 7g, Sugars: 19g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 118mg, Chol: 0mg
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Kiwi Blackberry Tart