On Thursday my Twitter and Facebook feeds fill up with people posting old photos of themselves. While you won’t catch me posting old embarrassing photos of myself I do think the idea is a fun one and thought what a great way to revisit some of our favorite recipes here on The Naked Kitchen that we’ve all but forgotten about. Here’s one of my favorite summer salads that I confess, I haven’t made in quite a long time. With all the cherries and peaches in season right now I’ve been enjoying this old favorite all week long. Let’s welcome back this yummy old friend for our first Throwback Thursday!
For the salad:
- 2-3 cups kale, finely shredded, stem removed
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small ripe peach, diced (feel free to leave the peel on if desired)
- 5-6 sweet red cherries, pitted and sliced in half
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
For the dressing:
- 1 small ripe peach, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp agar agar powder (optional, makes for a thicker dressing)
- In a small sauté pan add the almonds and heat on medium high. Stir occassionally for about 5 minutes or until the almonds are nicely browned.
- While the almonds are toasting add all the ingredients for the dressing to a blender and process until smooth.
- Add the kale, green onion, mushrooms and peach to a bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle the toasted almonds on top and enjoy!
Makes 1 serving.