Have you heard of the cooking movement “nose to tail” where all parts of the animal are used? I would prefer to keep noses and tails on the animal where they belong thank you very much. I’m not quite so sympathetic when it comes to fruits and vegetables though! Some of the most nutritious parts are in the bits we throw away like the skin, leaves and roots. In this recipe I use not only the sweet potato but the skin too and a bit of green carrot tops go in the dressing to add a little zip of freshness. Root to skin to leaves, almost every part of your produce is edible and as a bonus, it’s highly nutritious too.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 3 cups diced)
- 3-4 unpeeled carrots (purple if you can find them) with green tops (about 1 cup diced)
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp Dorito Seasoning Mix
- Creamy Chipolte Sauce
- 4 cups thinly sliced kale (you can also sub with spinach or arugula)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 1 baking sheet with foil and one with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Thoroughly clean the sweet potatoes. Dry well. Peel, reserving the skins. Dice the potatoes into small size bits.
- Remove the carrot tops and set aside. Dice the carrots into small size bits. Mince 1-2 tsp green carrot tops and add to the Creamy Chipolte Sauce.
- Toss the sweet potatoes and carrots with 2 tbsp oil, salt, black pepper, cumin and thyme.
- Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet with foil.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- During the last 10 minutes of baking time toss the reserved skins with the remaining 2 tsp oil and the Dorito Seasoning Mix. Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet with the silicone mat. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown and crisp.
- In a large bowl toss the kale, roasted vegetables and Creamy Chipolte Sauce until mixed.
- Serve immediately topped with the crispy potato skins.
4 servings/1 cup kale and 1 cup roasted vegetables each serving.
This dish is best eaten right away. You can roast the vegetables ahead of time , refrigerate and then reheat before tossing with the kale and sauce but the potato skins need to be baked just before serving.