Labor Day has come and gone. The kids are back to school. Summer’s over but you would never know it based on the hot weather that’s been sticking around. It still feels like summer and thankfully there are plenty of summer time favorites like watermelon to be found at the market. There’s nothing like cool and refreshing watermelon on a hot day, especially this Watermelon Pizza. It’s fruity fun the whole family will love making and eating.
- 1 cup mashed strawberries
- 2 tbsp coconut crystals
- 1 round watermelon slice (about 1 inch thick) rind cut off, seedless preferably
- 1/4 cup raw shredded coconut
- Pomegranate seeds
- Kiwi, peeled and sliced
- Cantaloupe or honeydew melon, thinly shaved
- Toasted walnuts, pecans or pistachios
- Chocolate chips
1. Place the strawberries and coconut crystals in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes or until the juice has cooked down and the berries have thickened to a jam like consistency. Set aside to cool slightly and then transfer to a bowl and refrigerate.
2. Place the watermelon slice on a plate and top with the chilled strawberries. This sauce layer of the pizza will help the toppings stick.
3. Cover with the toppings of your choice and then sprinkle the shredded coconut over the top and serve. For a more elegant dessert version top as desired then melt 1/4 cup chocolate chips and drizzle over the top. Sprinkle with the shredded coconut.
Make 4 slices
The strawberry sauce can be made several days ahead of time and refrigerated until needed. Prepare the pizza with all the toppings only when ready to serve.